Saturday, March 1, 2008

Caste Levels and Titles in Bali

Caste Levels and Titles in Bali
I. BRAHMANA (Status / function; in the religious field)
1. Ida Pedanda (Sulinggih)
   Has already performed in the Religious Holy Ceremony and is allowed to lead the Hindu Religion’s  ceremony
2. a. Ida Bagus (for males)
    b. Ida Ayu (for females)


II. KSATRIA (Status / function; in the field of government and armed forces)
1. A. I Gusti Anglurah
        (Ngurah) = king
        I Gusti Ayu (Queen)
    B. I Dewa (male)
        I Dewa Ayu (female)
       
        Desak (female)
        Ngakan (male)
        Bagus (male)
        Sang Ayu (female)


III. WEISYA (Status / function; in the field of economy and trade)
Title; Gusti or abbreviated: Si


IV. SUDERA (Status / function; in the field of agriculture)
  1. I Wayan (first child)

  2. I Nengah / Made (Second child)

  3. I Nyoman (third child)

  4. I Ketut (fourth child)

  5. I Putu (fifth child)

No comments: